Yogurt has an antibacterial effect which allows using yogurt face mask for acne. However, only pure yogurt for acne treatment is not enough.
Firstly, use natural fat-free yogurt for acne mask. Animal fats are poor stuff in the fight against acne.
Secondly, I suggest adding ingredients which can enhance the antibacterial effect.
- Honey is natural enhancer. A mask from yogurt with honey gives good results in the acne prone skin care.
- Lemon yogurt mask is also very well suited for that purpose. Instead of fresh lemon you better use lemon essential oil which has excellent antiseptic properties. This oil also contains vitamin C which is necessary for regeneration of the skin.
- The next product is tea tree oil. It is widely used in professional cosmetics for acne. Too many beauticians use this oil to treat acne in salons. You can successfully use tea tree oil for homemade masks. Simply mix 3-4 drops of oil with yogurt and apply the mixture onto your face.
- Another interesting version is the mask with yogurt and calendula decoction. Calendula is commonly used in medicine and cosmetology. This flower is a strong antiseptic and it also has the ability to heal. A decoction or tincture of calendula is used to treat scars on the skin.
Yogurt mask for acne & acne scars
- 1 Tbsp of natural yogurt
- 1 tsp of calendula flowers decoction
I make decoction myself. It’s easy. Take one tablespoon of dried marigold flowers (they are sold from pharmacies) and pour 1/2 cup of boiling water.
Cover the bowl. Let it steep for 15 minutes. Strain the calendula through a coffee filter or tea-strainer.
Mix 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 teaspoon of decoction.
Use a thicker yogurt for this mask (for example Greek). In this case, it will be easier to apply it on the face. If the mask is still turned out too runny, add the teaspoon of potato starch or baby talc.
Please note that talc and starch have a drying effect.
Apply the mixture to your face. Be careful and don’t strip your skin off acne. Otherwise, undesirable infection can spread.
Keep the mask for 20-30 minutes. Apply a new layer if the mask dries. After half an hour wash your face with cold water. If you feel any discomfort or irritation of the skin, remove the mask immediately.
Using yogurt for face masks is still popular among many women, thanks to this product versatility.
Do this mask twice a week if you like the real effect.