Saffron is a flowering perennial plant of the family Iridaceae. This name is associated with Saffron spice. The real plant is better known as Crocus (Latin Crócus).
Use of Saffron and Benefits:
- As an ornamental plants grown for decoration. Crocus flowers are very beautiful.
- As a remedy long time widely used in Oriental medicine.
- As a spice. It’s suitable for a various meat, vegetarian dishes and pastry.
- It has a very pleasant and delicate aroma, so do not mix it with other spices.
- As food colorant. Gives a delicate golden color.
- Plant is also successfully used in cosmetology.
It is believed that saffron:
- improves vision (helps in the treatment of cataracts),
- normalizes the digestive system,
- strengthens the heart muscle,
- considered to be a strong diuretic and cholagogue,
- boosts the immune system and overall body-toning.
Warning: saffron is a fairly strong spice. Use it in small doses like a seasoning for dishes or in tincture. It’s not recommended to take it during the period of pregnancy and lactation.
Saffron benefits for skin
Crocus has long been used in skin care. Time out of mind an Egyptian queen Cleopatra has done saffron masks to maintain her beauty. Saffron is used as an ingredient in creams by all known cosmetic
brands but they are very expensive.
Why it’s so valuable for the skin?
- Improves skin color,
- Smoothes fine lines,
- Promotes healing of scratches and acne
- Aligns structure of the face,
- Deeply moisturizes the skin.
Don’t spend money for expensive cosmetics. You can make homemade facial masks with saffron.
One of the most famous – saffron with milk – is used like skin rejuvenation agent. The recipe can be found here.
Effective moisturizer is saffron mask with honey and yogurt (sour cream).
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1-2 teaspoons of yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3-4 drops of essential oils of Ylang Ylang (optional)
Thoroughly mix the saffron powder with yogurt or sour cream.
Add honey and aromatic oil.
Apply the mask on your face and neck with a brush to avoid staining your hands.
After twenty minutes, blot the face with a damp sponge and rinse off the mask.
Do not be afraid of light yellow tinge to the skin, it will disappear after a couple of hours. If you won’t wait, prepare scrub of ground oatmeal with yogurt or sour cream. Massage your skin with a mixture for 2 minutes and rinse with cool water.